What is Virtualization?
Virtualization technology provides opportunities to host multiple instances of servers, operating systems and applications on a single physical host machine.
Benefits of Virtualization
Virtualization can provide many benefits in terms of resources, maintenance and security. These benefits include:
- Reduced requirements for total hardware, space, power and maintenance.
- Reduced dependency on specific hardware/software vendors and drivers.
- Licensing costs can be drastically reduced.
- Ability to extend life of old versions of operating systems and applications.
- Centralized management providing monitoring and reporting for all servers.
- Opportunity for increased utilization of existing server capacity.
- Servers can be created or archived very quickly.
- Virtual servers can be up and running again very quickly following a problem.
- Simply create new servers for testing or software development.
- Isolation of applications for increased security.